Man, it feels like it’s been a while since I typed up a random Friday post. I have been failing miserably at blogging lately, most likely because I am sick of typing the same posts over and over and over again talking about marathon prep this and marathon prep that. That is certainly one thing I am going to be very happy to have behind me after Sunday! (And I suppose the whole running for 5 hours thing too!)
That’s right! Sunday is the Big Day take 2.0 already! These past 5 weeks have literally FLOWN by and it’s hard for me to believe it is here already. In fact, I am pretty sure I am more in denial this time than last time because I have failed to have shoes fit for running in… oops. My new ones showed up at my parent’s house yesterday (thank you VIP status with ZAPPOs.com!!!) so I’ll have to hope that walking a bit in them tomorrow helps break them in. If not, I guess I will pay the price but my old ones are so bad I couldn’t make it 3 miles on Wednesday without my legs hurting horribly bad because they were so worn out. I am pretty sure they are over 6 months old which is about 2 months past my normal retirement date… again with the Oops.
not so interesting facts about my week:
1) It was hellishly hot on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Like walk in an oven hot. Somehow this particular heat wave appears to be leaving by the marathon although I will not place bets on that fact…Seriously Wisconsin. Enough!
2) I ran about 4 miles on Monday and 3.5 on Wednesday this week for taper week and struggled with each and every step I took. I am trying to convince myself that that does not mean anything about race day… but…
3) I am 1/3 on carbo load days so far! It didn’t take much for me to overshoot 400gs so we shall see how the really high days go. To be honest, I felt pretty drunk/sugared up all day and I really didn’t have much sugar, more bread like products. Oats, bananas, pizza, larabars, homemade bread, potatoes, oh my!
4) These items are on standby for carbo-loading and race day! I hate food with food coloring but sometimes I just really don’t care and say bring on the Red 40! I bet it’s the magic marathon drug.
5) I have the taper crazies in totally different ways this time than last time. Prepping for the last marathon I was totally mentally distracted all week but this time, I am physically bouncing off the walls. Probably some thanks to the excess sugar/carbs and much more reduced exercise than last time?!
6) When I look at the course pictures/map for this marathon, I am so much more interested and excited by what I am going to see! It’s pretty much all right along Lake Michigan and looks gorgeous! Too bad I can’t just stop and take lots and lots of pictures while I am running
7) This weekend is also the second annual SummerFest Rock n Sole Half Marathon in Milwaukee. Last years’ was an absolute disaster so I am interested to see if this years goes any better. From what I have seen on Facebook, it sure looks much more organized than last years.
8) I am still 100% terrified that I am going to putter out around mile 12 on Sunday. Eeek! I was so much more positive about the outcome of the last one… oh well, maybe that’s a good thing?! No over confidence to mess with my head this way, that’s for sure.
9) 48 Freaking Hours!
Here we go again…..