Hi! My name is Kinley. Welcome to Better off Barefoot!
I really don’t remember what lead me to start running. I do remember I started running in college and didn’t take it very seriously at first. I ran a random 8k in 2008 and truly hated it. Then for some reason in 2010, I decided to train for a marathon. I totally failed at that one but ended up finishing my first half marathon in September 2010. Since 2010 I have completed 3 5ks, 1 5 miler, 4 10ks, 1 15k, 7 Half Marathons and 3.57 marathons (long story . I am currently struggling with balancing my love for running long distances with my propensity to over-train/injury myself…
Finishing a marathon was one of my life goals. I had wanted to run one by the time I was 25 but ended up finally crossing that finish line when I was 26! A pretty good age for marathoning, I think! It ended up taking me a false start and a cancelled race before I actually got to run 26.2 but it was totally worth it! Life time member of the Marathoner Club! I went on to run 2 more within 7 months of that first complete marathon. #overtrainer
A few other random things about me:
1) I live in Wisconsin and somehow prefer running in the cold, cold winter than when it is 80+ degrees.
2) I have a 13 year old puppy.
3) I am not a natural born runner. It does not come naturally to me and I try to get better at it every time I run but I will never run a 3hr something marathon or a 7 minute mile… I will always be a member of the slow runner club. But it’s really not the worst club to be in! Just think of how much more time I get to spend at races. I get my money’s worth!
4) My favorite distance to “race” is the half marathon. My current PR is 2:03:53. Someday I hope to go sub-2! I’m spending 2013 focusing on the 13.1 distance and shooting for a PR at some point.
5) ) I want to run a 5k with my dog. Too bad he weighs 9 lbs and to him that would be like running an ultra… he might still be up for it though – he’s hardcore like that
6) I am not afraid of running in the dark and actually kind of like the added suspense. But that means I sometimes have to wear flashing lights on my shirt (when I am feeling like I should be a responsible adult).
7) I ran the Disney marathon in January 2013 and despite detesting how packed you feel while running, I still caved and signed up for the Dumbo Double Dare to earn my Coast-to-Coast medal this year in California!!!!
8) I am very curious about cycling. I really want to give it a try but I am totally clueless about that whole realm of exercise. Also, swimming. I want to do a triathlon but well, you know it’s hard to do one without biking and swimming
9) If I could only eat one dessert for the rest of my life, it would be a Babycakes Cookie Sandwich.
10) I would like to run in every state in the US. It does not need to be a race but at least a mile in the state to make it count. So far, I can cross off FL, HI,IN, MN, NV, NY, RI, TN, WI. Still a few more states to hit! I’d like to add IL to my list this year but we shall see…
12) If I could live anywhere in the world, I would live in Hawaii. I wish I could visit every single year!
Now, how about you? Tell me something about your running history or goals!!