I’ve had a little over a week to think over the differences I noticed from running my first marathon compared to my second. I don’t think I have a favorite of the two but there were still some notable differences and here are some of my top reflections!
2) Marathon #1 had about 200 +/- runners while Marathon #2 had about 2,100. Neither one of these races was very large compared to other large races but a 10x increase from marathon #1 to marathon #2 was pretty notable. During my first marathon, I ended up running along the route on my own quite often. During #2, I was never really far from anyone even though I was towards the back of the crowd during both races.
3) My parents, sister and puppy dog all spectated during marathon #1 but for #2, I was totally on my own! I drove myself to and from the race finish and it made it kind of boring in ways… yet at least while I was running, it was easier to zone out and not have to worry about spotting my family. But I would rather have someone out there cheering for me
4) After marathon #1, my legs hurt but I still tried to keep active with walking and other forms of working out and that just prolonged my recovery for like 4+ weeks… After the most recent marathon, I hurt so bad, working out was really not even an option so I was forced to take full rest days. And one week out, I feel almost 100%. My only complaint is a small amount of nagging hip pain.
5) The weather! Marathon #1 was pretty warm and I ended up pretty sun burned. Marathon #2 I almost ended up wind burned because it was pretty COLD!! The temps in the morning were in the 30′s this time compared to the high 60″s last time! I would rather run in the cold though so I kind of liked the change!
6) The mental struggle was much less during marathon #2 than it was during marathon #1. It didn’t help that marathon #1 came right on the heels of a total marathon disappointment… Even though I was totally untrained for this second marathon, I just knew that I was going to finish. I knew it would end eventually so even when I was tired, I just needed to keep moving.
7) My second marathon was paced so much better than #!!! Half #1 of marathon #1 was done in 2:08 but I finished in 4:38 (+ 22 mins). Half #1 of marathon #2 was done in 2:23, finish in 4:51 (+ 5 mins). It is really amazing how much easier that second half is when you start off the first half much slower than you think you should be going.
8) Marathon #1 left me wondering if I ever really wanted to train for and run another full marathon again. Marathon #2 has left me wondering how soon I should sign up to tackle another
What a difference a few months can make. And only a few more months until I can add marathon #3 to the record book!!