Today’s topic of thought on the series I am working through is Trusting your Body and listening to its cues for food, rest, etc. I am notorious for being a total dunce when it comes to this. It happens more often than I can count that I start getting crabby, dizzy, shaky, headachy or some other random symptom and can’t figure out what the heck is wrong until I realize, duh, you’re probably HUNGRY! I feel like I end up eating 90% of the day but have found that the more I trust my body to tell me when it is hungry and actually eat, the happier and stronger I am becoming. I have not always had the best relationship with food and eating, from restricting myself too much, to overeating on way too many occasions in a short period of time. I am still struggling to balance my level of exercise with the level of food I consume because I seem to be stuck in a rut where I am either always eating too much or always eating too little… For some reason, I have really been struggling with this right now and just can’t get it right! But I think this mainly happens because I try to over think the whole process of being hungry.
When I start to feel hungry, my mind kicks in and says, “What? No you’re not hungry, you just finished lunch like an hour ago” and so I ignore my hunger and then end up paying the price later by getting a stomach ache, heartburn or just feeling off and weird all day. Another blog I like to read actually discussed this today as well and probably better than I ever could. But the truth of the matter is, my body knows what it needs to be happy and I should just listen to it, but at the same time, make sure that I am still getting an adequate balance of protein, carbs and fats. Because I have found that that is my key to staying full for 2-3 hours (which is a long time for me – lol!!). Over the past few months, I have figured out that I NEED a big glob of nut butter every morning or else I am hungry by 9am and I need lots of protein at lunch or again, the hunger beast comes to visit again by 1:45pm I know for a fact that I am in a much better place with this today than I was a few months ago, but also know I have a long ways to go to regain the solid footing on this topic that I had at one point, not that long ago…
Now, on to a few other random and less intense happenings of my day ;)
1. I had the world’s best breakfast ever this morning. Drool…….
2. You know the work day is going fast when you try, unsuccessfully, for almost 2 hours to leave your office and it just does not happen.
3. Some people really need to learn simple hygiene skills. Seriously!
4. Body Pump is starting to give me heartburn and I don’t like it!
5. The Ninja Blender might look fancy, but it is no VitaMix. Hello grass speckled and chewy spinach smoothie. Geross!
6. If you search Google Images for “snack pictures”, the first items that come up are certainly not real food. (Hello, cheetoes, candy, soda and Red bull…)
7. We are having a blood drive at work tomorrow and I helped pass out the reminder cards and “pre donation snacks” and I felt terribly guilty for giving everyone a rice krispie bar thats ingredients list sounded like a chemistry experiment
8. A certain someone still gets very depressed every time a suitcase starts to get packed up
Time to head to bed, I have to take the Sister to the airport tomorrow am for her first business trip!! She is so grown up and has a way cooler job than me. Although she just said she almost forgot to pack certain undergarments? So I guess she’s not THAT grown up
Anything randomly interesting happen to you today?